...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Monday, February 28, 2005

boy on the bus

I was coming home from a little shopping trip to E-mart today when I heard the cute little boy standing next to me on the bus whispering "bus-uh duh-ribuh" (bus driver) over and over. I got the sense that he was getting up the courage to talk to me in English, so I glanced at him. He looked at me and in a slow, careful voice asked me where I was from. I told him America. He said "Canada?" I said "No, United States...Miguk." He understood, then told me his name. I told him mine. I asked him how old he was, then it was time for him to get off the bus. I should have so much gumption to practice my Korean every chance I get. Too bad there's not a chance I can be as cute as that little 11 year old, though.

Tomorrow's a holiday! The first of March commemorates the day that there was an uprising against the Japanese occupation. My friend today was explaining it to me and I compared it to the Alamo for Texans. A lot of people were killed and it became a rally point for the Koreans' independence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home