...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Monday, February 14, 2005

beans

After school today, I went to the lady who sits on the corner in downtown Suji and sells vegetables, beans, and tofu. Today, though, she didn't have beans, which I needed to make chicken chili. I was at a loss, because the supermarkets don't sell beans. I asked her, just to make sure, if she had any. She looked at the person standing next to me, as if she couldn't understand me. So, I asked her again, a little louder, and slower. She understood, and told me she was all out, but to be sure and come back tomorrow. I thanked her and began wandering the streets in search of another bean seller. I found a woman who had dry beans, but I wanted fresh ones so I could cook my soup soon! I went into a little market and asked if she had beans. Again, this lady looked at the other person at the register as if she didn't understand me. (I swear, there's a preconceived notion that if the speaker of Korean is white, that person will be hard to understand!) So, again, I repeated and enunciated more clearly. She understood, and showed me some bean milk. No, not what I need. I asked her where a store would be that sold beans, and she told me there wasn't one in the neighborhood. I decided I had to go back and get some dry beans. As I was buying them, a little lady was watching me. She then crossed the street with me, and once across, she asked me which country I came from. I answered her and she said, "Don't you want to go back to America?" I told her I like it there, but that I also like Korea. I have been lamenting the fact that I don't get enough practice speaking the language, but today, just in the process of wandering around looking for beans, I was able to have a few decent real world conversations. Now, my soup is on the stove and "Drops of Jupiter" just came on launchcast. Love that song.

2 Comments:

Blogger RD said...

Your bean hunting story makes me smile. Makes me think of my cat food and dish soap hunting back in the day (well, not really back in the day - just last week!). Or it makes me think of three days ago when I wandered around the grocery store for what seemed like an hour because I was in charge of making breakfast the next morning. All I needed was ingredients for breakfast burritos but somehow, in foreign countries, what should take 10 minutes, takes an hour! But like you said, the experiences to be had while doing all this searching are invaluable.

Glad to be on the same side of the world as you!
- rebecca

1:52 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for identifying with me, Rebecca! I'm so glad we can share experiences, too. Hopefully I'll get a chance to visit you while we're on "the same side of the world."

10:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home