...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Monday, January 03, 2005

i'm a cheapo

The cheapest hotel option was about 70 bucks for the night, plus it would have taken more to get there, because it was 15 minutes away by car and I don't think they had a shuttle. So, cheapo Lela decided to stay in the airport. It was OK. I've had worse experiences. When Sarah and I traveled Europe by train one summer, we were told we didn't need to reserve seats on the overnight train to Paris. So, we ended up not getting a seat and sitting on the floor next to the bathroom at the end of the train. It was so awful. The bathroom stunk, people were smoking (not just cigarrettes) around us, and it was dirty.

In comparison to that, last night was a dream. I got enough room on a sort of soft bench to stretch out, with my legs resting on my big backpack. (I paid to keep my two big bags in a baggage storage room.) The airport security men took all the people who were spending the night to one section of the arrival lobby so they could keep an eye on us. They woke us up to write down our passport numbers and flight information, then a few minutes later, another guard came around to double check it. It was pretty quiet, even though I was next to the vending machine. They turned most of the lights out. I got a few rounds of good sleep, but by about 4am, I couldn't sleep much more. I've read almost all of my book, written about ten pages in my journal, taken a few walks around the terminal, and now, to liven up my waiting time, writing to you guys. Soon, I'll go get my bags, check in, and find something to eat with my remaining yen. I'm so ready to get back to my little apartment and see my Korea buddies again!

2 Comments:

Blogger RD said...

hopefully by now you're home or at least nearly there. I definitely relate with spending the night in the airport. We always have to spend the night in the Bangkok airport whenever we're coming or going from Chiang Mai. All of the international flights coming in from the States (except for Eva Air) arrive at 11:30pm and the domestic flights don't start until 7am the next morning . . . so we're pretty familiar with the floor of that airport! We're gearing up to do it again in a few short weeks (although I think Narita in Tokyo would be more comfortable!)

10:26 AM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

Lela - I hope that you have made it home by now! Glad that you had such a great visit to the States - and that we got to catch up! :-)

9:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home