...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

back in black

I’m back in the swing here in Suji. (Back in black meaning I'm wearing my long heavy black hooded coat because it's COLD here!) I got back to my apartment (after 46 hours of travel since I left Laura and John Mark’s house Saturday morning) at 4:00 on Monday afternoon. I unpacked and got a few things put away, took a hot shower, and had the intention of staying up until a decent hour to go to bed. I busied myself until about 5:30, but realized I wasn’t going to make it. I couldn’t even see straight. So, I went to bed and slept, with only a few interruptions, until 6 the next morning! I didn’t feel guilty in the least, because I knew I needed it after being awake for basically three days.

So, with an early start on the day yesterday, I finished putting stuff away in my apartment, went grocery shopping, and started getting back in touch with friends here. I went over to a friend’s apartment. I saw the Bible I gave her last year sitting on her shelf, and we started talking about reading the Bible. She asked if I really read it everyday, and doesn’t that get boring? I told her that there was so much to read and that it’s so rich with meaning that it doesn’t get boring. She said she read it for a while, but I guess doesn’t read it anymore. She went straight from that topic to how the tsunami tragedy doesn’t make any sense. She didn’t say this, but I think she was thinking about how God could allow such a thing to happen. She talked about her visits to Sri Lanka and how she knows many people who are now missing or whose friends and family are missing. I related to her confusion and hurts. I can’t explain why God would allow such a thing, but I know He is still in control, that He never lost control for a second, and that I still trust Him. How can I explain that? Until I can put that into words, I pray that my life will be a demonstration of my faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home