...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Thursday, April 01, 2004

an orange vinyl couch!

When I went to work this afternoon, it was a beautiful, warm, sunny day. There were kids and moms at the playground near my apartment, along with one of the famous Korean yogurt ladies (they walk around with a little insulated cart full of many kinds of yogurt and milk, their hats, clothes, and cart all yellow). There were kids playing video games outside the tiny corner store, and old men inside at the table drinking and talking. The trees are in bloom, and I was thinking about what a great spring day it was.

When I left work (I only work for four hours on Thursdays), it was gray and raining! I love rain, though, and it hasn't rained in a while, so I am enjoying it. There were moms with strollers scurrying to get their kids dry, a kid on roller skates with an umbrella, and a rad orange couch on the side of the road! I was standing there in the rain admiring it when the lady who lives at that house came home from the store and told me it was a great couch, that I should take it (or something along those lines.) She had put it out for the trash to pick up. She asked if I had a boyfriend to help me carry it, and I said no, so she helped me carry it to my apartment. She was old, so I didn't want her to help me carry it up the stairs. I told her we could leave it there so I could clean it off. I cleaned it off and lugged it up the stairs to my apartment by myself. That was a challenge, but I did it! Now, I have a little orange vinyl couch in my little apartment. I did some re-arranging and it looks great. My apartment is getting pretty full, though, with my bed and small table supplied by my school, plus a couch, large coffee table, and bookshelf found in the trash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home