...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Monday, April 18, 2005

내일 홈스태으로 이사 할 거에요!

For those of you who speak Korean, please correct my title if it's wrong. For those who don't, it says that tomorrow I'm moving into a homestay. I don't even know if homestay is a word we use in America. Anyhow, tomorrowI'm moving in with a Korean family. They are a friend of a friend. I met them at their home on Friday and they were really excited to have me. They are clearing out a room (everything but the piano in it) for me. They have two daughters: 10 and 12. The daughters both speak English. One of them I think even lived abroad for a while. The parents don't speak a lot of English, so I can practice Korean with them. That's the reason I'm moving. (Another reason is that I'm going to China for five weeks this summer and don't want to pay rent during that time.)

I told them the reason I want to live with a Korean family is that I'm learning Korean, but don't practice speaking enough to really get good at it. The dad, who is a funny guy, said "Well, fortunately, I can speak Korean very well." In the short time that I was at their house on Friday, he corrected my pronunciation a few times, and even made me repeat after him, so I think he'll be a good person to practice with. Of course, they also want me to speak some English with the daughters, but I don't think that will distract too much from the reason why I'm there, and they're not charging me anything, so I can certainly repay them in that way and other ways.

I'm actually supposed to be packing right now. It's getting late and there are still quite a few piles laying around my living room that need to be packed. I'm amazed again at how long it takes to pack my junk. I am convinced that moving often is really good for keeping your stuff to a minimum. I feel like I've been to the trash more times in the past few days than in the whole time I've lived here. I'm trying to sort through and organize as I go, but now that plan has pretty much been ditched as I'm just trying to get the stuff crammed into bags and boxes.

On to another topic....I hope to post a few good pictures of the cherry blossoms here. The difference between how the campus looked Friday and how it looked today is absolutely amazing. There are a bunch of cherry trees and other spring blooms all over the campus. I walked around a bit today after class just taking it all in. I was going to take some fantastic pictures for you, but when I turned my camera on, it told me it was out of batteries. Tomorrow I'll hopefully get some before all the blooms fall.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...April blog. Where's May? Will you see this? I like your cherry blossom pics, and those of the new fam! I posted on this one because there's no comments here yet :) I really like your site- so keep up the good work! Also, I want some of these pics from the last few months. How do we do that?
Love ya!

6:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home