...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Saturday, April 09, 2005

random slices of Korea, perhaps funny only to me

Every day as I walk across campus to my Korean class, the outside speakers belt out some song. Usually Korean pop, but one day this week it was Celine Dion "My heart will go on." I think if that were played on loudspeakers at an American university, the students would revolt.

The use of English is a continual source of entertainment. Recently, a woman on the bus was carrying a gift bag with this motto: "Please understand how I feels with this heartly present."

I'm constantly surprised by Korean fashion statements. A few weeks ago, there was a guy wearing jeans, a blue and white striped shirt, a short bright red necktie, and a purple velvet sports coat.

My level two Korean teacher would stand at the front of the class while she was talking to us and hit her rear end with her fist. It's pretty common here to hit yourself as a form of massage. When my Dad came to Korea, we were walking in the park one morning and there was someone repeatedly bumping up against a tree. Dad looked over questioningly and asked what the person was doing, but by that time it didn't look funny to me.

2 Comments:

Blogger RD said...

Thanks for sharing - I can totally picture all of those scenarios and they make me smile. I keep thinking I need to do a blog about things like that in Thailand but I need to write things down as I see them otherwise I seem to forget all the funny details. The use of English is one of the funniest I think. I needed a new journal a few weeks ago and decided that for my very first journal bought in Thailand, I'd buy one that was really "Thai" so it has bears on the front and says "A little loving a little giving. For our tomorrow our little bear." So random but funny. Thanks for the blogs about life in Korea -I really enjoy reading them. Rebecca

11:32 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I wondered if in Thailand they were better with their use of English. I'm glad you find entertainment there, too. It takes more to entertain me these days since I've been around bad English for a while now, but there is still plenty of entertainment in the stationery stores even for jaded viewers like me. :)

5:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home