...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Thursday, March 31, 2005

don't vacations go by fast?

I can't believe it's already Thursday night! I still have the first two days of next week before I start class, but it's going quickly! Well, my goal of studying everyday four hours like I do when I'm taking class has been a little harder than expected. Tuesday, I studied for an hour then met a friend then went into Seoul to meet another friend. We went to a worship service (in Korean). I really need to practice listening to Korean, especially church words, and singing worship songs in Korean is a great way to practice too. Plus, the auditorium is full of people really glad to be worshipping. Worshipping with people who are passionate about worship is just good. So, I'm thinking that counts as Korean study time, because real experience is worth a lot more than acutal study time anyhow.

Yesterday and today, I spent five hours each afternoon in the library. I was pretty productive during the time. I just divided it between reading the things we didn't get to in our reading book from level 2, reviewing grammar I should have down by now, and reviewing vocabulary. I don't see any real results from it, but I'll just keep reviewing and reviewing and sooner or later it will sink in and make its way into the real world of speaking.

This morning before my library time, I went to pick up my alien registration card (remember the one that I look like a deer in the headlights? yeah, that one) and my new text books for level 3. Tomorrow, I'll finish reviewing level 2 and start getting ahead a little for level 3.

Had a pretty good but too expensive sushi dinner with my friend Olivia tonight, then spent a few hours chatting with her. Oh, on Tuesday I went to the big English bookstore in Seoul to look for more Chaim Potok books and bought four. That was a splurge, but I'm already more than halfway through one of them: My Name is Asher Lev. It's brilliant. They were all out of The Promise (the sequel to The Chosen), but I'll find it later.

I just realized I've posted a lot lately about just normal stuff...what I've been filling my days with. Maybe I'll try to post some more meaningful thoughts soon. Lots of stuff goes through my head at times about possibly significant things to write about, but then when I sit down to post, it's just easier to write this stuff. Now, back to Asher Lev...

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie VW said...

Hi Lela!
I found your blog through a bloglines search for Chaim Potok! I think he was an absolutely brilliant writer and love finding other Kindred Spritis that enjoy him too!

My Name is Asher Lev is good, but the sequal, The Gift of Asher Lev is even better! Enjoy!

6:45 AM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

Ok, you are the second person I've read recently to recommend Chaim Potok. I started trying to read "The Chosen" last weekend and couldn't quite get into it. I think it may be because I was reading right before bed. But, I will try again!

2:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home