...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Monday, March 28, 2005

day one of vacation

Well, I didn't get any Korean studying done today for a few reasons. At 10:30, I hopped on a bus to meet a friend that I used to work with for lunch. I took a book with me that I just bought at a used bookstore in Itaewon. I took it with me as an alternative to the Korean flashcards I intended on studying on the bus. Instead, I opened up the book first and was drawn in. Check out this author if you haven't yet: Chaim Potok. The book I got of his is The Chosen. I'm gonna have to see if the English bookstores here have his other books.

Lunch with my friend was lovely...the reconnecting and the food. She took me to a place where the main dish was a stone bowl of rice that you scoop out into another bowl, then you pour some kind of watery broth into the crispy rice that's stuck to the edges of the stone bowl and it makes a rice soup. The table was full of many, many side dishes in their little bowls to make the rest of the meal. Afterwards, I went to my old hagwon - where I taught English last year, and saw my youngest kids who are now not the youngest anymore. They have already grown up a lot. I was really happy that they remembered my name and were happy to see me. Aww.

I took the bus back to Suji and went to the library to study, but it was closed, so I came back home and read more of my book. I couldn't put it down, except for a long walk before it got dark. I finished the book about an hour ago. I haven't finished a book in a day in a long while.

So, until I get my hands on another one of these books, I will study, yes I will.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you mentioned The Chosen in your blog; it's been a long time since I've read it and now I HAVE to go get it! Thanks for reminding me about a great book! -Kristin

8:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home