...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

did i mention it's freezing here?

Actually, it's well below freezing most of the time. The highs for the past week or so have been around 32 and the lows have been around 15. Brr. I've been living in long johns under my jeans, at least two shirts, a scarf, hat, and gloves, and my long down coat, sometimes even wearing the fur lined hood over my hat. I don't remember it being this cold here last year for this many days in a row, but maybe I just wasn't out in it as much. Maybe I just have a bad memory. I only remember wearing leggings (I didn't have my silk thermals or cuddleduds last year) under my pants on two days last year, and I didn't have the nice long coat I have now. Maybe I'm not as "strong" as I used to be. :)

Since Friday, I've been getting up at 7 and leaving at 8:15 to catch the bus to Ajou University, where my Korean language classes are. Today, I had to wait a while for the bus and it was cold. When I get to school, I have almost a 10 minute walk to the building where my class is. In the classroom, the heater is on, but it doesn't feel warm unless you get right up next to it. (There's no floor heat there.) So, we all leave our scarves and coats on all four hours. Maybe all of this contributes to me feeling so cold.

Today, I went to lunch with the Korean-American girl who is in my class. It was fun to start a friendship with her. In my class, there are three people who say they have no religion and one guy who is Buddhist. As my friend Adrielle said yesterday, the harvest is ripe! Pray that I am a witness to these new friends.

After we had lunch and coffee, I came back to Suji and spent two hours in the library near my house studying Korean. Since I didn't take level one, I have a little catching up to do, so I'm studying the review section of the practice book. It's not too hard, but it definitely takes some work. Two hours sitting in that library was about all I could take. I went there because I don't have a desk at my apartment, so I study on the floor. That's ok, but I figured I might concentrate more if I were sitting down in the library. I think my mind and body need a little more conditioning to be able to sit still and study longer. Koreans seem to have it down, though. Very few of the people around me moved from their study spots in the two hours I was there. Granted, some of them were fishing (a word I learned in Hong Kong that means nodding off), but most of them were really concentrated on their studies!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

Brrrr! It was 70 here yesterday! Good for you for going to the library. I've been out of school for long enough (and finally passed the CPA exam so I could quit studying for it) that I am not sure I could ever go back to studying. Just not part of my nature.

12:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One reason I didn't want to get a masters was because studying didn't sound appealing, but studying Korean is different. I can use it everyday, so since it's useful, it's not hard to spend time studying. I like it!

6:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home