...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

work and glorifying God

Tonight, on my subway ride home, I was reading John Piper's book Don't Waste Your Life, the chapter called Making Much of Christ from 8 to 5. It spoke to me for a few reasons. Here's part of what I read: True personal piety feeds the purposeful work of secular vocations rather than undermining it. Idleness does not grow in the soil of fellowship with God. Therefore, people who spend their lives mainly in idleness or frivolous leisure are rarely as happy as those who work.

I guess that might not mean that much to anyone reading this, but I have been thinking lately about the time my work at school takes up. I really enjoy my job at the hagwon, but it also takes away from some of what I could be doing. One of those things is learning Korean. Today was my morning off, so I went to a few places to check into learning Korean. Two of the places only offer classes in blocks of 10 weeks (4 hours a day, 5 days a week). Well, that's not gonna work with my schedule. Another place offers a class every Saturday morning until 1. That's almost possible for me - except we have our Kyungwon University life group starting at 1 about 30 minutes away from there. So, I am looking into private tutoring. I have been trying to learn on my own since I got here, and I can get across what I need, but not really have much of a conversation so far. I want to be able to really talk to people at the very least!

So, back to the work thing. I think it's really fascinating that God has made us people who are made to work. Of course, He has made us as people who rest, too, but real rest comes after real work. I want to be one who glorifies God constantly through my work, both my "secular" work and my "missionary" work.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

checking to see if the comments work

12:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home