...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Sunday, May 09, 2004

Jeju

Wow. We took a trip to Jeju island, the famous island (said to be the Hawaii) of Korea, for two days as a team with our pastor and an overseer from Cypress Creek in Wimberley. It was absolutely wonderful. We had the privelege of staying right on the beach. We had some good team time, refocusing our church, and some good individual time, refocusing our relationship with other team members and what we're doing here. I was blessed to get one day off of work for the trip, which was really nice. We already had one day off for children's day, so it worked out well. It was still a little chilly with the wind, even though we had bright, sunny days. Jim Bob and I were the only ones to take a swim in the beach, but it was really worth it even though we started to get numb after a few minutes. We took a "deep sea fishing trip" which turned out to be not so deep sea. The only fish we could catch with the bait and hooks supplied were five inches at the longest. Well, at least we got a boat ride. Shannon and I went to see the famous seven nymphs waterfall and the guys went ATVing. It was just really nice to be out, away, and to get to see the beautiful beach! (I have a few pictures online.)

The night before we left, I wanted to go to the beach, even though it was chilly. I walked out and sat down to enjoy the waves, the stars, and the peace. Since I was alone, I sang out loud, thanking God for all kinds of stuff, and of course, asking for lots of stuff, too. I began to be overwhelmed by the infinity that is in the sky, the ocean, and the sand. God is infinitely huge, and to me the sky and ocean are also infinitely huge, even though of course God is much bigger. The stars and how far away they are...in contrast with the sand, which I could sift through my hands, but impossible for me to count. God is as far away as the stars and even closer than the sand, and He can count and understand all of it. I think part of why all this infinity was so amazing to me is that in Seoul, some things seem so finite. Space is not abundant...apartments are small and close together, the stars can't be seen in the sky, time is limited. Vacations, even short ones, are good, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home