...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

on the way home

I started a new life group with two of my foreign friends and one Korean girl introduced to us through another foreign guy. It's in Suji, which is where the rest of the team lives (where I used to live before I started working full-time). It's an hour plus some to get there, but that's where we want to focus our church outreach at, so I don't mind going there. Plus, I really enjoy spending time with those girls. I think there's the making for a really great life group there.

I decided I like traveling on public transportation at night. It's much more peaceful and you have a much better chance of getting your own seat. On the bus (to get to the subway), I was the only one for a while. When I got on the subway, an old guy who had lived in San Marcos came up to me and talked the whole way home. He kept apologizing for his English because he said he had too much soju (like I couldn't tell). In spite of the soju, his English was still very good. He told me all about the woes of having a 29 year old daughter not intrested in marriage and a granddaughter who didn't want to be a school teacher like he thought she should.

On the walk home from the subway station, I got to say hello to the woman who works at one of my favorite Korean restaurants in my neighborhood. She was outside enjoying the cool night air. I love that neighborhood feel of saying hi to people! Today on the way to work, I saw one of my G1 students who apparently isn't benefitting much from my class. All he could say to me in English was "hello!", even when I said goodbye. Gonna have to work on that kid!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home