...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Monday, May 23, 2005

snails and other food adventures

When I came home from school today, I saw a bowl of something moving on the back porch. I went to check it out and found that it was a large bowl full of snails in water. When the dad came home, he showed them to me and told me how delicious they are. I told him they looked a little scary. I went into my room to study, thinking maybe I should jet before he started cooking something with them. When he called out to come eat, I walked into the kitchen and thought I saw fried pieces of things on plates. I was beginning to sweat it when I realized that it was just fried rice. (Maybe I need glasses, or maybe my eyes were just tired of studying already.) So, I was really relieved to eat a normal dinner. He told me that he washed the snails and got em cleaned up for later. Maybe breakfast!?

In other food news, I was planning an early escape yesterday (Sunday) morning to go downtown to a bakery when I walked into the kitchen to make myself some coffee. The mom said that she didn't want to cook so we were just having toast and fruit. Hallelujah. To make the weekend even better, I had the house to myself on Saturday morning while the kids and dad were at school and the mom had gone back to bed to catch up on sleep (their philosophy is that you can make up for all the sleep you lost during the week on the weekend). So, I made myself some pancakes. Yum.

One more food story, then I'm back to my Korean homework. Last Wednesday, I made some sour cream chicken enchiladas (not an easy feat when you have to travel far and wide to find tortillas, sour cream, and good cheese) both to share in the cooking and give them a taste of some Mexican food. The older girl helped me before she had to go to her night English institute. She ate some as soon as they were out of the oven and she said she liked them, but the cream wasn't very good. I left them out while I went to prayer that night and came back to find that the rest of the family had eaten other food. I didn't know if they had tried it and not liked it or not known they could eat it or what. The next night, I got home a little later than dinner time and heated some up. The rest of the family crowded around and started eating off my plate, so we heated some more. The next morning, the girls finished them off for breakfast. Go figure.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lela: We had Marla's chicken enchiladas at Whitharral and they were good. She used the "stack" method.
I am beginning to think there is a distinct randomness to the seemingly rigid structure of a Korean day. What with expecting slimey snails for breakfast and not eating a perfectly good enchilada for din din. Oh and the piling up of weekend sleep for sleep deprived weekdays. I do think etiquette bells might sell well in the US.
Love, MOM

1:28 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

update on the snails...we didn't have them for breakfast. they're still sitting on the back porch and hardly moving...does that mean they're past their prime? i hope that means we don't have to eat them.

6:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home