...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Thursday, August 26, 2004

kimchi

Jim Bob called tonight to tell me the news - he ate a lot of kimchi tonight for dinner...and enjoyed it. I, in turn, had equally bad news. I bought my first bag of kimchi from the grocery store tonight. It's one thing to eat it when you go out. It's quite another to keep it in your own fridge. It gets worse - when I got off the phone with JB, I wanted to eat some, so I cut the bag open, got the chopsticks out, and started eating it alone. I don't think Koreans do that. They always eat it with rice, at least. I'm sure it won't be a regular craving...I hope it won't be! I told JB we might need to consider going to KA - Kimchi Anonymous.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

So for those of us who haven't had the pleasure of kimchi - can you relate it to anything that I might know? It sounds interesting...

9:31 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, it's fermented cabbage. What else can you say? Actually, there are over a hundred different kinds, I have heard. My favorite is the traditional. It's made by rubbing the cabbage in kochujang (hot pepper paste) and letting it sit until it ferments - which can be just a few days in hot weather. Then, it's used as a side dish, and also to make all kinds of staple Korean foods like kimchi stew, kimchi fried rice, kimchi burgers (sold at a local burger chain), kimchi pizza (sold at a Korean pizza chain)...the possiblities are endless.

11:20 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

A link to pictures and more about kimchi:
http://www.kimchi.or.kr/english/

11:22 AM

 
Blogger Jenni said...

Wow - who knew? Sounds like it must be an acquired taste.... glad you are learning to love it! :-)

4:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home