...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Monday, August 16, 2004

The Aquariums of Pyongyang

I just finished reading The Aquariums of Pyongyang, by Kang Chol-Hwan. It's an absolutely necessary book to read, in my opinion. I sat, glued to the pages, for the better part of this evening, to finish it. It's about a boy who was sent to a North Korean prison camp at age nine because his grandfather spoke out against the government. He spent 10 years there, and was then released. He had to escape North Korea eventually because he was under suspicion of listening to South Korean radio in his home. Reading his first-hand account really changed me. I went to my map of Korea when I read the last page and started praying like I haven't in a while. Lord, I want more passion for the lost and those who have so little chance to hear about You! The author says:

"We liked listening to the Christian programs on the Korean Broadcasting System. The message of love and respect for one's fellow man was sweet as honey to us. It was so different from what we were used to hearing. In North Korea, the state-run radio and television, newspapers, teachers, and even comic strips only tried to fill us with hate-for the imperialists, the class enemies, the traitors, and who knows what else!"
I am just reminded that I have so much to give as a Christian, even the simple message of love and respect is powerful - even to people in such dire circumstances. God, thank You! I have that and so much more to give.

It started raining this afternoon and it's still going. I really like it. I have my air turned off and my windows open for the first time in a month or two. It's a little hot, but nice to hear the rain and strangely nice to hear the sounds of city community that I can't hear with the windows closed. I talked to my boss again today, and she still doesn't want to let me go early, but she does understand what I feel is a calling to spend more time in Suji, close to the church, and learning Korean at a nearby university. She started crying when she told me these things and said she had heard I have a heart for North Korea. She wondered how that can be true for an American when so many Koreans don't even think about North Korea. So, pray with me that God will provide someone to take my place at my job. I'm believing that He will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home