...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Monday, August 02, 2004

how a bike ride changes a mood

Back to work today after a much needed week off, and I was irritated at the end of the day. I wasn't irritated at the kids at all, but just about being there, I guess. I am looking forward to getting out of my contract early, but the problem is that I haven't brought it up with my boss yet. I am waiting for gumption on my part and the right time. Things are complicated by intensive session starting today, so things were busy, and two people quitting in the last month because of people in charge not treating them right. It's hard for me to say I want to quit when they're already going through so many changes. Another complication is a communication barrier between me and my bosses. Overall, it's a good place to work, but I need and want to get out because I need to move back to Suji and I want to study Korean more.

I went to Burger King after work cause I was hungry and it's one of the closest and easiest options without much hassle. I got a Tex-Mex whopper, which turned out to be just a whopper with some tabasco sauce, but it was good. I came home and fell asleep reading a book online written by a guy who lived for a year in Pyongyang, North Korea in the 80's. I woke up after a short nap and read another chapter about his long, cold, lonely winter. Even though it's the middle of a hot, humid summer here and I'm not really lonely, I started to feel sad reading it, so I decided I needed to get out. As soon as I got out on my bike, I felt a million times better. I rode around the lake to my bank to get some cash and took in the happy couples, the sweet smell of trees and water, and the liveliness of Koreans out at night. I watched a dog get caught on the low picket fence he was trying to jump over and laughed with his owner, passed by a man attempting to increase his candy cart sales by wearing traditional Korean costume and beating a drum, and listened to the screams of kids at the amusement park in the middle of the lake. Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home