...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Friday, July 23, 2004

memorizing scripture

My friend Okja, now my Korean tutor on Thursday evenings, has a little plastic pocket she carries around with 52 scripture cards.  They are in English and Korean, and she wrote the Japanese version on the back by hand.  She carries them with her at all times and memorizes one scripture a day, in all three languages.  When she finishes the 52 cards, she starts over.  Personally, I am totally amazed by this.  She memorized scripture in English and Japanese so she can use scripture when she ministers to people in those languages.  Isn't that excellent?  So, the first thing she had me do is memorize Phillipians 4:13 in Korean.  I didn't know all the words in it, but I do now! 

나에게 능력 주시는 분 안에서 나는 모든 것을 할 수 있습니다.     빌립보서4:13
I can do everything through him who gives me strength. -Phillipians 4:13

This weeks verse is a lot longer, but I have two weeks because next week I'm gonna be on vacation! 

내가 그리스도와 함께 십자가에 못박혀 죽었으므로 이제는 내가 사는 것이 아니라 내 속에 그리스도께서 살아 계십니다. 지금 나는 나를 사랑하시고 나를 위해 죽으신 하나님의 아들을 믿는 믿음으로 살고 있습니다.                갈라디아서  2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.  - Galatians 2:20

Okja's perspective is that if I am learning Korean to be a better minister to Koreans, then I should know some useful scriptures in that language, too!  It's really fun to learn from her, because she fires me up!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home