...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Tonight, I had my new Korean tutoring with my two extra cool friends who offered to help me out.  I love going out to eat with Koreans, because you usually each get a dish that you want and then you all share them.  I got some bean paste soup and they ordered dduk bokki, odang, and kimbap.  We all shared all of it, and it was so tasty.  I also like eating with Koreans because I like almost all of their food.  These two girls and I share the same tastes, too.  After dinner, we got some ice cream bars at a convenience store and headed to the library to study.  I am getting a Korean scripture every week to memorize, and then we are going to go through Korean worship songs, translate them, and learn them.  I am already learning a lot of new words through this, and I will be able to remember a lot through the songs and scripture.  We practice conversational Korean as we eat and through the evening.  It's a lot of fun, and they tell me they are having fun, too.  I am praying that I will get a way out of the last four months of my contract at school so I can go to language school this fall.  We'll see.  I haven't had time to talk to my director yet. 

This week has been rather crazy - a lot of going, going, going.  Today was a little more relaxed, because I had the morning off.  On Monday, I went to visit an English and Chinese language school for North Korean defectors.  It was great.  They just used me for pronunciation help, but I would like to be able to go on a regular basis to form relationships with the people and learn more about North Korea and North Koreans.  I also got to practice more Korean, because most of the people there don't know much English (only people higher up get to learn English, I guess). 

Our English summer camp that our church is putting on starts Saturday and goes through Wednesday.  That's gonna be crazy for sure, but will be fun, too.  The summer team leaves soon afterwards.  We'll miss them!  Clint has decided to stay for an extra month.  We're happy about that.  Some of us are planning on going to the beach next week, right after English camp.  I'm looking forward to that.  Hopefully it won't be too crazy, because we'll be going during peak travel season!

Oh, one fun story...two nights ago, I came out of the subway station to find a fresh gerber daisy in my bike basket!  I have had people leave their trash in my bike basket before, but never anything nice...and gerber daisies are one of my favorite flowers!  I had just been praying for my husband, so it was a very nice surprise.  It didn't come with a phone number attached, but I'll take it as a sign anyway.  :) 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home