...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Thursday, June 02, 2005

ah, rain

I've probably posted many times on how I love rain. This week as one of our activities in Korean class, we had to write a list of five reasons why we love something and then read them to the class. The class had to guess what we were talking about. I wrote about rain. Mine was the hardest one to get (hopefully not because of my Korean ability, but because not that many people love rain.) I admit, after a month or so of rain (like we get here in Korea in the summer), it's nice to see the sun again, but it doesn't diminish the fact that I love rain.

Today, in our third hour of class, the sky got ominously dark and by the fourth hour it was pouring. We're on the third floor of our building, and a few of us went straight to the window during our break to watch it fall. There's just something about it that entrances me. Luckily, by the end of class it was reduced to a mist so I could walk across campus and get back to Suji without getting soaked, because as much as I love rain, I don't like to walk around soaked for the rest of the day.

Last night we had a small group for our regular Wednesday night prayer meeting. It had rained late in the afternoon yesterday, too. We opened a window or two to get some of that cool air flowing and we worshipped together to begin our prayer. It was really sweet to be there together, just four of us, singing our impromptu songs and breathing in the clean, moisture laced air. I thought as we prayed that in one of God's many facets of glory, He must smell like rain. The smell that tells you refreshment is coming, nourisment, cleansing, and purity are coming. Those things can't be manufactured by our own will, but are given by His grace like rain. That fragrance must be a part of His aroma when we get to meet Him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

I love rain too!!! The sound of a huge thunderstorm and the pouring water. I love the clean smell in the air before and after a rainstorm.

10:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home