...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Friday, January 28, 2005

a foreigner benefit

This afternoon, I was buying some bread while waiting to meet a friend at a bakery. I got a loaf of bread and a doughnut. There's a sign that says you have to pay extra for a bag to put the bread in (other than the ones the things come in individually), so I expected them to just give me the stuff and I'd put it in my backpack. Instead, I heard the lady mutter something to her co-worker like "We're supposed to charge for this bag, but I don't know how to tell her." She just assumed I didn't understand, which made me laugh. I could have told her something like "It's okay, I can pay for it," but I decided to not mess with it. The bags only cost like 50 won (five cents) anyway. There are small benefits since Koreans think that you can't understand. They don't bother you with stuff, but also it makes it hard to practice Korean, because many times when I try to respond or ask something in Korean, people respond in English.

I am learning a lot of stuff in my Korean language classes, but the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. I haven't had much time to study this week, because I've had commitments every night and I've been either traveling to or getting ready for those commitments in the afternoons. That's all OK; I've enjoyed everything I've done this week, but it's just hard to fit in everything I need to do. (I know probably all of you who read this know exactly what I'm talking about!) We found out today that we have a midterm test next Friday, and after that we get the whole week off for lunar new year. Yay! Too bad the test isn't after lunar new year, then I might actually have time to study for it. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home