...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Thursday, November 04, 2004

how time flies

How time flies when you're job free! I thought I would be better about blogging now that I'm not working, but it's been another week already! I guess I can blame it partly on not having internet in my apartment yet. Picture this: I put on my big coat (usually over my pajama pants and t-shirt because I'm either about to go to bed or I haven't taken a shower yet) and head outside to the courtyard where I bum someone else's wireless internet on my laptop. Sometimes, I bring out a mug of coffee or a bag of skittles (like last time when the security guard helped himself to some). I am going to be a legitimate internet customer in January when I am here for a long amount of time. (Next week, I'll be gone to Hong Kong and then in December, I'll be in Texas for three weeks.) It'll also be much colder in January, so I'll be much less motivated to come outside to use the internet!

On Tuesday, I went to Ajou university in Suwon, a city about a 20 minute bus ride away. I took the level test to see what level Korean class they should put me in. I pretty much bombed the written test. It was all in Korean, obviously, and way hard. I thought I could understand what most of the sentences said, but then they had choices of which form of the adjective or which particle should go in the blank and I pretty much had no clue. Next, they interviewed me in Korean. I thought I bombed that as well, but she said I did a much better job speaking than writing. I guess that makes sense, because I generally don't get much practice writing. The last part of the written test was to write an essay about what I plan to be doing in 5 years (in Korean of course), and I had no clue what to say. She told me if I didn't write anything, they'd put me in level one, so I wrote about five sentences introducing myself and gave it back to her. She said that was still level one, so write some more! So, I did. I wrote about what I did in Texas and how I first started learning Korean, and she said OK! Level two! So, I'm level two and proud of it. :) Classes start January 7th! Yay!

Today, I met a girl who came to Korea on a vision trip with nkmissions.com. It was really excellent to talk to her and hear what she experienced while here and in China. I'm so ready to learn more Korean!

4 Comments:

Blogger RD said...

Good luck with your Korean (and congrats on making level 2)! I am really excited to learn Thai. I had hoped to get some tutoring before we left but haven't had any luck finding anyone. I keep leaving messages for the Thai professor at ASU but he never calls me back. So I've resorted to listening to some bad quality CD's I have. I'm going to see if I can find something better. I had hoped to have a tiny head start on the language before arriving in January, but doesn't look like it'll work out.

How long have you been in Korea?

Rebecca

2:31 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been here since August of last year, so about a year and three months. Time goes so fast! Good luck with the language...it's so fun to be able to say even the littlest things they don't expect. All Koreans are so complimentary, even if you just say barely more than thank you!

9:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why are we so complimentary?
foreigners can speak English...? it looks amazing to us.
also you're Korean is really getting better.
Lever two!!! i'm very proud of you!

your friend, Erin(only you know who i am.)

1:54 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Erin - it took me a few minutes to remember who that name went with! I guess you never used that as your English name, huh? You have to admit that Koreans tend to compliment anyone who can speak the language at all. That's a good quality!

2:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home