...the life and times of church planting and language learning in south korea...

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

ordering in

Today was a beautiful day. After winter dumped a whole mess of snow on us last week, it's beginning to look like spring again. I only had to work three hours today. (Tuesdays are my easy day). After work, I picked up my shoes that had been falling apart from the shoe shine/repair shop (a tiny little building that you can't even stand up in), picked up a a few things at the market and came home.

I decided to try ordering on the phone for delivery. When I come home, there is always a new flyer, sticker, or magnet advertising some food you can order. I called and asked the guy if he spoke English. He didn't, so I ordered and told my address in Korean. I wasn't sure how successful I would be, but it turned out great! Twenty minutes later, there was the delivery guy with hot tahng soo yook (fried pork with sweet and sour sauce on the side.) It was about 6 bucks, and more than enough for two people. Jacquie, my American co-teacher came over and we shared it. Yum. I felt a sense of accomplishment that I had finally ordered for myself in Korean over the phone, no hand gestures, signs, or pictures to help. They bring it over in a metal box with a handle (by scooter) and it's re-usable plates wrapped in saran wrap. When you are finished, you leave it by the outside door and they come back to pick up your plates. Sort of like room service, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home